Little survey: What do people use to backup configurations ?

Adam Rothschild asr at latency.net
Sat Feb 3 03:03:06 UTC 2001

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 04:34:47PM -0800, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> A while back when I was at SGI, I wrote my own scripts, using expect
> and tftp to backup configurations of Cisco routers. Configs then
> were put into rcs. Now before I am resurecting those scripts again
> for my current job, what are people using to backup equipment,
> things such as Cisco routers (26xx, 36xx, 72xx, 75xx, MSFC, RSM) and
> Cisco Catalyst switches (2924XL, 3548XL, 4000, 5000, 6500) ?

I'm using RANCID <http://www.shrubbery.net/> to handle this, and
ViewCVS <http://www.lyra.org/viewcvs/> on a https+auth protected
server to allow non eng types to peep the configs.

Overall, I'm quite content.  The only area where it falls short is its
inability to show what users made what configuration changes, and
precisely when.

If anyone has a good means of doing this (by editing router
configurations off-line, automagically and/or by hand, and then
committing 'em via expect script?  Tailing TAC+ command logs, and
generating diffs accordingly?  Something else I'm overlooking?), and
is willing to share their source, I'd be most appreciative.

-adam