Quasi-operational re. Exim

Matthew Zito mzito at register.com
Fri Feb 2 23:50:52 UTC 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Steve Sobol wrote:
> In light of the recent thread about a carrier-class mail server, and
> since I don't have the
> address of the mailing list mentioned there, I was wondering how people
> felt about Exim.
>
> I apologize in advance to those NANOG readers who are going to yell at
> me about
> operational content, but I couldn't come up with a better mailing list
> to send this to.
>
> I've installed Exim. I like what I've seen so far. Robust, lots of
> features... and I was
> mightily impressed when my out-of-the-box RPM installation passed all of
> abuse.net's
> spam relay tests.
>
> So... Can Exim handle large queues, and delivery to tens of thousands of
> mailboxes?
> (I'm not at the point where I'd need that kind of scalability yet, but I
> don't want to have
> to switch mail servers any time soon.)

I think exim is great - logical design, really full-featured, and very very
fast.  I've used it at a number of my jobs, and never had any significant
problems with it.  I'm actually very disappointed that more people aren't
familiar with it.

I've used it in multi-thousand message queues, receiving hundreds of
thousands of messages a day.  Plus, it's real easy to set up a clustered
configuration using maildir, etc. With a good config, a load balancer, and
nas storage, you could run a pile of smtp servers off of one centralized
config.

Thanks,
Matt

--