Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

Carter, Gregory gcarter at infodns.com
Fri Feb 2 02:56:46 UTC 2001

I think if anything is to be stressed here is that it should be left up to the
administrator of the network to choose whether they wish the version records to
be available or not.  Theory can be argued for it to either be enabled or
disabled but honestly I wouldn't care either way if the choice was left to me
and by default it was not enabled until I specified otherwise.  I had no idea
that named had ever responded this way until it was posted to this list to my
surprise.  I am not an advocate of security through obscurity however I don't
feel that administrators should be removing all doubt to script kiddies of what
versions of software they are running so easily.  Make them work for it.

Greg

| infoDNS                                      http://www.infodns.com/ |
| Senior Network Administrator                bits/keyID 1024/7DF9C285 |
| Need help?  Ask an expert. -------------> http://www.infoforums.com/ |
+--------[  DC 50 57 59 C3 76 46 E8 EB 75 A8 94 FE 96 9E D3 ]----------+