sorry to ruin several of your evenings...

Stephen Stuart stuart at mfnx.net
Thu Feb 1 08:15:23 UTC 2001

So, I said this about controlling who can query "version.bind":

> "allow-query" lets you control who can see that information:
>
> zone "bind" chaos {
>         allow-query {
>                 127.0.0.1 ;
>                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/len ;
>         } ;
>         type master;
>         file "filename";
> };

and Rob Thomas was kind enough to point out that this caused bind9 to
dump core. I did, in fact, take the example from a bind8 server. I
tried replicating it in bind9, and while it didn't dump core (perhaps
that was 9.0.x behavior?), on 9.1.0 the log messages suggested that I
acquaint myself with "views."

I did, and a named.conf for a recursive server that only allows
localhost to access the "bind" zone for class "CHAOS" while performing
general recursive service for class "IN" is:

view "external" {
        match-clients {
                any ;
        } ;
        zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
                type master ;
                notify no ;
                file "primary/127.in-addr.arpa" ;
        } ;
        zone "." {
                type hint ;
                file "cache/cache.db" ;
        } ;
} ;

view "local" chaos {
        match-clients {
                127.0.0.1 ;
        } ;
        zone "bind" {
                type master ;
                file "primary/bind" ;
        } ;
        zone "." {
                type hint ;
                file "cache/cache.chaos" ;
        } ;
} ;

Zone file contents are left as an exercise to the reader; it seems to
do the trick in restricting access in the same manner as my bind8
example.

Thank you to Rob for pointing out that my solution only worked for
bind8; hopefully this helps anyone trying to puzzle it out for bind9.

Stephen