Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

Jason Lewis jlewis at jasonlewis.net
Thu Feb 1 07:00:51 UTC 2001

All of the recent list traffic got me thinking about why people aren't
upgrading.  Maybe some insight?

I have several name servers.  I have inherited them from admins that didn't
seem to know what they were doing and I cannot upgrade one of them at all.
It would require a total rebuild.  I have upgraded the rest to 8.2.3.

Another reason I haven't put more effort into it, is because I am waiting
for two brand spanking new servers to arrive.  I don't have the time to
rebuild a name server I will trash in less than a week.  Russian Roulette, I
know.

Is it pretty common to be understaffed and overworked?  I can't believe I
just asked that.  I am always overworked with next to no help, but it seems
that recently things are worse.  Is that true all around?

Anyone else in similar situations?

Also, anyone else see a HUGE increase in scans for port 53?  I mean out of
control scans.

jas