microsoft

Christopher Schulte schulte+nanog-post at nospam.schulte.org
Fri Dec 28 17:54:37 UTC 2001

At 12:21 PM 12/28/2001 -0500, Ian A Finlay wrote:
>Can anyone shed light here?

1) Both of the listed Nameservers for windowsupdate.microsoft.com timed out
when I sent them non recursive DNS requests.

2) I killed my DNS cache, and asked again for the NS records for
windowsupdate.microsoft.com.  A new third one was listed, and one of the
original servers began to respond.

3) Another reload shows only 2 servers listed again, and they both respond.

Looks to me as if Microsoft is altering global delegation of their
windowsupdate service.  Maybe diversifying the dns structure as they did
with microsoft.com after the attacks a while back?  They now have 12 DNS
servers scattered around the globe, just to serve microsoft.com dns.