What happened on December 11(12)

David Luyer david at luyer.net
Wed Dec 19 10:01:43 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 16:20, Sean Donelan wrote:
>     - Telstra (Australia) had a backbone network routing meltdown
>         disrupting traffic to/from/within Australia for several
>         hours.  Timezone, so this happened wednesday in Australia?

I didn't notice any outage here in Australia.

That means it was most likely only Telstra's international
link(s) and not their standard domestic meltdown (which is when
they accidentally inject 20k-100k routes into AS1221 - it's happened
2 or 3 times over the past 2 and a bit years, when Telstra have an
international link cut or other outage they have accidentally
bloated AS1221 by 100k routes taking out Optus and others who
would have been otherwise unaffected).

David.
--
David Luyer                                     Phone:   +61 3 9674 7525
Network Manager                P A C I F I C    Fax:     +61 3 9699 8693