AT&T Broadband

Matthew S. Hallacy poptix at techmonkeys.org
Wed Dec 19 09:50:01 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 09:48:09PM -0800, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 08:04:30PM -0600, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> > Yes, this is correct.
>
> 	Sounds like an issue for the e-mail or telephone support
> people at your provider, then.  It's amazing what you can find
> out by actually picking up a telephone these days.
>
> 	--msa

Hello Majdi,

	I was hoping that our former differences in opinion would not be reflected here,
they haven't before this, and I hope they aren't again.

	As for this problem, I did call our friends in Canada about it, the
first tech was absolutely confused and told me to hold, then transferred me
to level 2 support, who promptly had me reboot my cable modem, reboot my
machine, and (try) to walk me through my network configuration (fortunately
I can remember all the dialog boxes in Windows for this). After finally coming
to the conclusion that I wasn't stupid they filled out a form on a web page that
sends messages to AT&T's NOC. In the past they have proven to be useless, this
time however enough people complained, along with the message to this list, and
the filter was removed this afternoon. Hopefully the unintelligent person who put
such an awkward and useless filter in will think twice before meddling in their
router config again.

	I didn't feel that it was completely off topic here, considering a lot of
people depend on their access at home in emergencies, how would you feel if you
suddenly found that you couldn't ssh, or telnet in to the system that you were
trying to fix? Most people are not able to, or prefer not to get internet access
from their employer.

	On another note, I'm looking for a mailing list related to network outages
AT&T/MediaOne specific, or Minneapolis/Minnesota specific, if there are none I'm
willing to start one for sharing contacts and collaborating on problems, if there's
an interest in this please mail me privately.

				Matthew S. Hallacy