"Cisco Release Of Goner Worm Raises Eyebrows" (Newsbytes)

ben hubbard nanog at eproduct.org
Sat Dec 15 02:49:57 UTC 2001

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:25:40 PST, "..." said:
>
> > I can't imagine any legitimate reason for someone to send a file
> > attachment to EVERY single nanog ml member. A URL pointer to a file would
>
> MIME attachments are not the problem.
>
> The problem is people who insist on using mail software that fails to
> address the security considerations of executable content.

Yes, but does nanog have the power to prohibit list users from using said mail
agent?

It does (should?) however, have the ability to drop/refuse attachments
(possibly over a certain size) - like Mr. Li's 54Kb gift to the list.

Me thinks there is more than one way to skin this cat - but that dropping
sizable attachments is probably the path of least resistance - if the problem
at hand is seen as keeping questionable email and their payloads off the list.

Now, on the other hand, if what you really want to do is change the
world....... then maybe your onto something. ;)