Cabling databases and wireless networks

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Wed Dec 12 20:18:59 UTC 2001

Hello,

The institution that I work for is rolling out wireless services on our
campus which spans about a 10x10 block area.  We currently have a pretty
robust cable management database for tracking and relating our wired runs,
switch ports, subnets, and physical rooms.  We're trying now to figure out
how to handle and document our wireless deployments with the same type
of information and relationships.

The problem that I see is that our database is structured around a
relationship hierarchy of Campus -> Building -> Floor -> Room, where each
item is a sub category of the one before it with no knowledge of adjacencies.
For example, the database might know that room 300 and room 301 are both on
the 3rd floor, but it doesn't understand if they are next to each other
nor if room 401 is above 301.  This seems like it will become more and
more important since, with wireless gear, we're looking at coverage
areas instead of lit wall outlets.

Has anyone else tackled this yet or is there any good software out
there to track this?

Thanks

Eric :)