USGS returns to the Internet

jloiacon at csc.com jloiacon at csc.com
Mon Dec 10 20:58:06 UTC 2001

The "law of unintended consequences" done struck USGS. I keep performance
data on a NASA router at the USGS Eros Data Center (EDC). Large satellite
based science data products are transferred continuously between EDC and
NASA centers as well as principal investigator's throughout the world.

My MRTG graph is flat-lined between Thursday PM and Sunday AM.

Joe

                    Valdis.Kletni
                    eks at vt.edu           To:     wb8foz at nrk.com
                    Sent by:             cc:     nanog at merit.edu (nanog list)
                    owner-nanog at m        Subject:     Re: USGS returns to the Internet
                    erit.edu

                    12/10/2001
                    12:16 PM

On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:54:31 EST, David Lesher <wb8foz at nrk.com>  said:
> Unnamed Administration sources reported that Patrick Greenwell said:
> > page server" of the DOI had access to the Indian trust data. My
> > speculation would be that it does if it's Internet connected...

> I can see no reason why a server full of personal data would be.

Personally, given the amount and size of holes the court-appointed tiger
team found, and the fact that *previous* security audits going back as
far as 1989 (it appears) have found problems, I'd be surprised if they
had gotten it *right* and segregated that server from the Internet.

And of course, given the judge's wording, if the data server is on the
Internet, then every DoI host that's on the Internet has access to it - and
thus needs to have its plug pulled.

Bet somebody's wishing that server had been on a private network with
only several other dozen machines.... ;)

--
                    Valdis Kletnieks
                    Operating Systems Analyst

<< Attachment Removed : C.DTF >>