USGS returns to the Internet

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Dec 10 17:16:51 UTC 2001

On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:54:31 EST, David Lesher <wb8foz at nrk.com>  said:
> Unnamed Administration sources reported that Patrick Greenwell said:
> > page server" of the DOI had access to the Indian trust data. My
> > speculation would be that it does if it's Internet connected...

> I can see no reason why a server full of personal data would be.

Personally, given the amount and size of holes the court-appointed tiger
team found, and the fact that *previous* security audits going back as
far as 1989 (it appears) have found problems, I'd be surprised if they
had gotten it *right* and segregated that server from the Internet.

And of course, given the judge's wording, if the data server is on the
Internet, then every DoI host that's on the Internet has access to it - and
thus needs to have its plug pulled.

Bet somebody's wishing that server had been on a private network with
only several other dozen machines.... ;)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst