multi-homing fixes

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Fri Aug 31 15:32:17 UTC 2001

--On Friday, August 31, 2001 8:11 AM -0700 "Sean M. Doran" <smd at clock.org>
wrote:

> See what I mean by it being a compression system for more specifics?

Sure, if the supernet & more specifics update atomically, you get
a processing gain as well as a space / b/w gain, as you process a
set of identical NLRI's in one shot (and heh, processing a
route flap of ^701$ in one shot, can't be a bad thing, and
a sh ip b pat or equivalent will demonstrate most routers
carry tables of unique attribute sets anyway).

However, I had rather assumed the point of these so-called TE
more-specifics (where there are some) is that they don't all
update atomically. Then you need code to split them out and
put them back together again, and though you are doing better
on bandwidth for the updates (which is not a problem anyway)
you are doing worse on space & processor power.

I may be missing something.

--
Alex Bligh
Personal Capacity