Cisco and Juniper Inter-Operability Issues ???

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron-office.nl
Fri Aug 31 09:07:58 UTC 2001

In article <374A92909239824AB6CD24234C9682FF205676 at exchange.xodiax.org>,
Devon True <dtrue at xodiax.com> wrote:
>Our company is purchasing a couple of Junipers and we are going to run
>OC-3 circuits off of them. We current have Cisco 7507 routers that will
>connect to the Junipers (via FastEthernet and later GigE). We run OSPF
>and BGP in our network.=20
>
>Any gotchas we should watch out for and any tips/tricks? I read the
>NANOG archive and saw someone mention OSPF problems with Juniper and to
>run ISIS. Is that still the case?=20

We use a mix of Juniper M20, M40, Cisco 7200/7500, STM1 (OC3), STM4(OC12),
fast and gigabit ethernet, MPLS, OSPF, iBGP, eBGP, and it all works.

The only issue we found is that if you run MPLS and LDP, sometimes
a Cisco will announce the same label twice to the Juniper and the
Juniper will (rightly) drop the LDP session. Very annoying, so right
now the Cisco's don't run LDP (JunOS 4.4R1.5 / IOS 12.0(16)ST)

If anyone else has experience with Juniper/Cisco LDP I'd sure like
to know if they see the same problem.

Mike.
--
"Answering above the the original message is called top posting. Sometimes
 also called the Jeopardy style. Usenet is Q & A not A & Q." -- Bob Gootee