FIBER CUT: Dallas to West Coast

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Fri Aug 31 03:07:25 UTC 2001

> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:34:03 -0500
> From: Chris Boyd <CBoyd at apogeetelecom.com>
>
> If you really need diversity, talk to _one_ carrier that can
> go everywhere you need.  It's much easier for one proviioning
> group to make sure that your circuits don't go through the
> same fiber, ring, cross-connect, mux, or office if they have
> complete visibility to both circuits.  Nigh impossible if you
> try to get two different carriers to cooperate like that, I
> would think.

This assumes that said carrier can truly provide that redundancy.
Too often, "separate" paths aren't.  And, after being told things
like "I can't loop your smart jack, so your CSU/DSU is configured
incorrectly", this basement dual-homer questions the local ILEC's
ability to provision over totally separate loops.

Speaking for myself, basement dual-homers want:

* Physically separate paths
* Politically disparate networks
* Complementary IP routes.

in no particular order.

Perhaps the answer is to request two totally different paths from
a provider, then rinse and repeat with a second upstream?

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence