FIBER CUT: Dallas to West Coast

Greg Pendergrass greg at band-x.com
Thu Aug 30 19:13:37 UTC 2001

You always have to specify to the carrier that you want diversity. For
longhaul, sometimes even big name providers will subcontract to another
provider. For instance, you may get 1 OC-3 from MCI and another from Sprint,
but both might be going through the same Qwest OC-192 from Denver to San
Jose. I've seen it happen and it's always ugly for the buyer when someone
backhoes it. You have to specify and sometimes pay more to be certain of
your diversity.

Greg