What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Aug 30 13:03:38 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 02:32:15PM +0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> ask non-filtering peers of 3561 how well they performed when hit with the
> 15k route flap on 18 jan.

I remember an amusing incident with another major provider who
leaked my employer 50k prefixes sometime last year.  Our routers,
with lots of ram shugged, all the AS paths were longer, it didn't
even really affect routing.  Meanwhile the leaking peer crashed
and burned on 7513's with 128M RAM, we watched their links bounce,
and traffic drop from large levels to nearly 0 before they got it
under control, 4-6 hours later.

At the time we had just completed upgrading most of the routers
from 128M to 256M, which is what saved us...and we had the proof
that a few thousand dollars worth of RAM could save hours of downtime
for hundreds (if not thousands) of customers.

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440