What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

Roeland Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Thu Aug 30 06:36:03 UTC 2001

Okay, let's get it back out of the realm of opinion and into requirements.
I'll even go down one step more, to /25. Take the entire IP addr space,
break it ALL into /25's, times the BGP table entry size, how big is that?
Could 4GB of RAM do it? How about 8GB? Your average 64-bit processor can
handle T-Bytes and they are affordable by your average basement dual-homers.
Also, I just got a price quote for 512MB ECC PC133 DIMMS at $49US, retail.
Oh yeah, that same processor runs faster than 1 GHz. That's todays
*computer* technology. Router technology needs to catch up.

Considering what router vendors charge, with very fat margins, for their
low-tech routers, affordable tech arguments don't hold water. Routers are
expensive because someone is stupid enough to pay the prices. We are getting
royally ripped off there. Cisco takes special RAM because Cisco designed
incompatible RAM circuitry so they could charge you more for the Cisco
label. It also bolsters the FUD-storm and the after-market support vendors.

BTW, you really ought to check out that site at
http://www.routerrevolution.com.

The reason I chose /25 is because the average small business can easily use
that much space, but would have a hard time justifying a /24.