What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

Gordon Cook cook at cookreport.com
Thu Aug 30 04:09:35 UTC 2001

>I recall something about liquid (something, could be nitrogen, or perhaps
>even mercury) that was chilled; PC Boards were then submersed in the
>liquid to keep cool.
>
>Maybe on Crays?

dunno about Crays..... but definitely on Control Datas ETA 10s
designed to replace the CYBER 205

in 1988-1990 at the von Nueman supercomputer center in princeton we
had 2 eta 10s.... each with large CPU boards that were immersed in
tanks of liquid nitrogen.   If we had a AC  problem the operator were
trained to do the quickest possible shut down on the machines.....
even so with in five minutes the temp inside the machine room went up
by 10 degrees

The COOK Report on Internet, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax) cook at cookreport.com   Index to 9 years
  of the COOK  Report at http://cookreport.com         From now
through Sept 15th
half price sale on university library site license and access to ALL
back issues.
Site license $575 and all back  issues $300.  http://cookreport.com/sale.shtml