What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

Vadim Antonov avg at exigengroup.com
Thu Aug 30 04:01:04 UTC 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Andrew Partan wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 08:10:42PM -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:
> > Err. Water and electricvity make a dangerous mix.
>
> Ya.  My air handling systems seem to deal with it OK.

They are kept in different places.  Now think how are you going to combine
hot-swappability and water cooling, and not let moisture to get out :)

> These big routers all seem to want more & more power - and thus
> generate more & more heat.  Its time to think of other ways of
> cooling them other than trying to cool more & more air.  I suspect
> that sooner or later air cooling isn't going to handle it.  Thus
> the question of what you replace cold air with.
>
> I suppose you could put routers in wind tunnels, but then getting
> a technician in there to do OIR is going to be a bit tricky.

As soon as you do liquid cooling the price goes up an order of magnitude.

This is as simple as that.

My take is that the real answer is to move from heavy, sticky electrons to
photons; the trick is to get them to interact in useful ways :)

--vadim