What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

Kevin Loch kloch at opnsys.com
Wed Aug 29 00:59:03 UTC 2001

Roeland Meyer wrote:

> I am now seeing the same sort of argumentation. Only this time, the
> objective is to try and keep folks from being able to multi-home or
> otherwise achieve independence. Jeez, in both cases, the upper-level goal

I don't think filtering on RIR allocations has anything to do with keeping the
small  people down.  It is not a political problem, it is a technology problem.

It will ultimately be solved when core routers can handle an Internet worth of
/32's
and an EGP is developed to efficiently propogate changes (perhaps an open
central
registry with policy applied locally).  One has to wonder why vendors don't
satisfy the
first requirement today.

Until that time, you can either satisfy the (fairly reasonable) minimum
allocation requirements,
Implement any number of alternate kludges that have been proposed, or go home.

KL