multi-homing fixes

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Aug 28 22:22:25 UTC 2001

> The tragedy of the commons exist because there is a limited resource,
> incentive to do the wrong thing, and disincentives to do the right
> thing.  Until there are disincentives to do the wrong thing, e.g., filter
> routes, apply a charge to routes in the DFZ to encourage aggregation, etc.,
> incentives to do the right thing, and/or the limitations in the DFZ are
> removed, you _will_ get a tragedy of the commons.
>
> Rgds,
> -drc
> Speaking only for myself

The limited resource is the fixed upper bound on numbers. There are concerns
w/ the current technological limitations on mgmt of the route table and the
weaknesses in the current routing assumptions.  As friend Bush has indicated,
the IRTF and in the IETF, much thought is being given to how to migrate from
BGP to something new. Perhaps heirarchical routing itself is flawed and we
need something new. This problem is not new.

As a data point, I would ask that those whom are allowed to participate in
the design discussions and are willing to be active in them, to take this
request into those discussions.  I would like to see the ability to have
the routing system support 2-32nd entries in the "DFZ" (whatever that is... :)

--bill