multi-homing fixes

John Fraizer nanog at Overkill.EnterZone.Net
Tue Aug 28 18:56:21 UTC 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Mark Radabaugh wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>
> > While there is a great lack of clue in many locations, don't forget
> > the bean counters/marketing/sales.
> >
> > In an outage, virtually all ISP's prioritize customer restoriation,
> > and sometimes the quality of the engineer working the incident by
> > the size of the circuit (which presumably translates into $$$'s,
> > but that's a whole different tarball).  Thus, one could conclude
> > that the lowest speed circuits get the "worst" service, and thus
> > those with the smallest bandwidth needs have the largest need to
> > multihome.
> >

> The interesting part is that when we were single homed a upstream outage
> was a HUGE deal and generated very demanding calls to the upstreams
> support staff.  Now when we loose an upstream it generates a shrug and a
> phone call - so...
>
> Multihomed customers generate LESS technical support rather than
> more?  Maybe we should urge more people to multihome...
>
> Mark

"Multihomed customers generate LESS technical support rather than
more?"  Perhaps in an outage instance they do.  When they have a routing
issue, it can become a finger-pointing match between their upstreams and
thus, it generates 100% more technical support for the upstream who
doesn't have the problem.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc