multi-homing fixed

Grant A. Kirkwood grant at virtical.net
Tue Aug 28 17:37:47 UTC 2001

Rachel Warren wrote:

> > > The suitcase nuclear bomb that takes out my facility in one location
> > > is very likely to take out my other facility in the same metro area.
> > > And probably all the customers who would remotely care.
> >
> > I don't know about the others in this thread, but the suitcase
> > nuclear bomb is well outside the types of things I worry about
> > protecting against, and in fact were one to explode I think 'lack
> > of internet access' would be _WAY_ down on my list of priorities.
>
> Hopefully Sean was being a bit over the top. :)
>
> A bomb threat is definately something to worry about, though.  I wish I
> remembered more of the details or a news article to substantiate, but what
> I do remember about a year ago was a bomb threat at the non-ghetto MAE-EAST
> facility in Vienna, VA (I remember we were all wondering why all the WCOM
> people were leaving the building).
>
> If a bomb (threat) actually had occured, things would have definately
> been unhappy.
>
> Rachel
>
> --
> But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things. - Thoreau

Once upon a time, while talking with a customer about a particular LA
datacenter's fault tolerant features (you know, generators, UPS, HVAC,
diverse fiber entrances, etc...), they very calmly asked me what
procedures we had in place in the event that a major earthquake struck
the southland and dropped LA into the ocean or otherwise put the city
underwater. I told them very bluntly that if an earthquake of that
magnitude were to hit LA, I would *not* be overly concerned with their
servers/circuit/etc., assuming I was still breathing. They were quite
taken aback. ;)

Grant

Grant A. Kirkwood - grant at virtical.net
Chief Technology Officer - Virtical Solutions, Inc.
http://www.virtical.net/