multi-homing fixed

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Tue Aug 28 16:58:25 UTC 2001

>Did you see where Excite at home is in bad financial shape and expected
>to run out
>of cash within months.
>
>Roy

Yep.  And Verizon, the ILEC, doesn't seem to understand the concept
of needing a subnet -- their xDSL is host-only (I have stories about
that).

And trying to call some of the more established ISPs (Verio, UUnet,
etc.) to get a quote on frac T1 or FR access gets a salesdroid that
doesn't seem to listen to what I am saying.

Among other things, that proposing a Cisco router to a Nortel
employee probably isn't the best strategy. That I really am not
interested in web services.  That I want to know about service
response times (SLAs being too much to expect).

Ironically, I have far more experience with Cisco gear than Nortel,
since I'm in advanced technology and don't work daily with the
current products. But then the Ciscos proposed are far more expensive
than models that would do the job perfectly well.