multi-homing fixes

Sean M. Doran smd at clock.org
Tue Aug 28 15:41:40 UTC 2001

"David Schwartz" <davids at webmaster.com> writes:

| 	I'm not sure I believe that this tragedy of the commons exists where people
| route on allocation boundaries. If I make Sprint carry an extra route just
| for my little network, that helps all Sprint customers reach my little
| network.

Cool, so you can get them to contribute a fraction of the 50 cents you owe me?

Since I live downstream from Sprint, I tell you what: I'll give you
the first flap for free.   And that's a generous offer, given that
your little network represents approximately zero percent of my traffic,
and I doubt I'll be complaining to my other personalities that I can't
get at your fascinating content without subsidizing your network's
globally-visible dynamicism.

	Sean. (who does, incidentally, subscribe to some pay-for-play
	       web sites, for example, which helps them pay for a part of THEIR
	       dynamicism.  i must remember to ask for a 50 cent * n discount
	       at renewal time...)

P.S.: the point here, since it's easy to miss, is that a clearing house
      function is useful for containing complexity of negotiation, and
      is currently being done by the RIRs on behalf of their owners

      business opportunity: a tool which reliably lets one decide if
      prefix x is worth carrying in all its flapping glory, or whether
      it should be bitbucketed until a bill is paid