OC3 Transit Service in New York

Neil J. McRae neil at DOMINO.ORG
Tue Aug 28 12:27:44 UTC 2001

> > I am a network manager for NetVision, an Israeli ISP. We have a couple of
> > locations in US which primary purpose is getting transit services from
> > US ISPs. One of these ISPs is Teleglobe and we have an OC3 transit
> > connection at 60 Hudson, New York. For the past couple of months we are
> > growing discontent with service levels received from them and are looking
> > for an alternative provider to work with.

Interesting.

> > ISPs considered so far are C&W, Global Grossing and Qwest. Could someone
> > comment on their network services, customer service, technical skills of
> > their staff, etc. Any other real life experience with the above ISPs is
> > welcome. Especially I am interested in information about Global Grossing
> > because of their very attractive proposal. (I did not mention UUNet
> > because we are already connected to them).
> >
> > Recommendations for other ISPs are welcome.

I'd strongly recommend Genuity [AS1], COLT takes multiple OC3 circuits
from them in New York. In my view they have the best customer
service in the world. Always give good notice on planned maintainance
and security issues, have an abuse department that does more than forward
emails and they have engineers in their NOC that know what BGP is. Also
the account management is good as well.

> > Also, I would like to know about other people's experience with Teleglobe.

For traditional telco products like STM-1 bandwidth/voice I'd highly
recommend them, for more "advanced" services like ATM/IP I'd would not
recommend them because of their lack of proper customer service
for these products. Although that was over a year ago and they may
have addressed this issue since.

Regards,
Neil.