multi-homing fixes

Mark Radabaugh - Amplex mark at amplex.net
Tue Aug 28 02:56:51 UTC 2001

> ahhh, somebody understood the comment.
>
> the problem is that there is no obvious detent on the knob.
> to start the
> usual posturing and flamage, i propose min 2xDS3 multihomed.
>
> randy

The only reason we multihomed to 2xT1 rather than adding additional
capacity with our first provider lack of clue.  Minimum downtime for ANY
incident was 30 minutes waiting for a level one (L1) tech to enter basic
information.  After working hours you could argue for 30 minutes with a
L2 about getting a page to a L3 who could actually make a change to the
routers.  Efficient process, eh?

It would have been completely unconscionable to our dedicated customers
to continue with a single provider.

How do you propose that a small ISP grow large enough to afford a 2xDS3
connection when even a minor fubar at the (single) upstream will cause
outages for ALL of the ISP's customers?

If we are taking votes mine would be having an AS number.

Mark Radabaugh
Amplex
(419) 833-3635