Policy Routing

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sun Aug 26 05:27:13 UTC 2001

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

> Rereading your post, one would believe that since "Company X" is a BGP
> customer of yours, you're going to be sending them a full view.  Unless
> there is a knob that I'm not familiar with, that means that you're going
> to be sending them the _BEST_ routes that you see in your core and not
> just those from "NSP A" to which you are proposing to policy-route all of
> "Customer X's" traffic.  If this is indeed the case, I would think that
> policy-routing the customers traffic destined for "prefix Y" via a
> path other than the path listed in the NLRI you're sending "Customer X" on
> their BGP feed is outright fraud.

Suppose you apply an output route-map on their BGP session that prepends
the heck out of paths where peer-A isn't your next as-hop?  That way,
you're giving them full routes and making it clear via BGP that if they
have another path via another provider for non peer-A routes, the other
will be better.

 Atlantic Net                |