multi-homing fixes

Vijay Gill vgill at vijaygill.com
Fri Aug 24 07:30:44 UTC 2001

Roeland Meyer <rmeyer at mhsc.com> writes:

> |> From: Adam Rothschild [mailto:asr at latency.net]

> |> being accessed by lots of reading and writing processes.  RIB
> |> processing is substantial, and is only getting worse.
>
> SMP systems and multi-ported RAM is a good enough stop-gap. If I didn't like
> non-deterministic systems, I might suggest Echelon technologies
> (hardware-based neural nets).

Roeland, what I believe Dr. Rothschild was alluding to is that the
underlying problem here is is more of fundamental database managment
problem. Key issues are concurrency controls involved in operating on
data that must be accessed by multiple readers and writers, among
other things.

> don't agree on, and am amazed to see, the admission that they don't
> know at what point the convergeince problem becomes intractible. Or
> even, if it does... that sounds more like a fundimental lack of
> understanding of the algorithm itself.

Large, distributed database systems are annoying and hard to deal
with, there is no silver bullet yet. This is something the DB folks
have been working on for years and since AS's can be viewed as a
distributed multiversion databases, no doubt there is much to be
learned from the research in the DB field.

/vijay