Ethernet NAPs (was Re: Miami ...)

RJ Atkinson rja at inet.org
Thu Aug 23 15:58:54 UTC 2001

At 11:14 23/08/01, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>On a GigE interface with jumbo frames where the other side on the
>same ethernet might not support jumbo frames that is probably not
>the case. The packet will simply get dropped and the sender will
>never know why it was dropped.

        Folks sending anything larger than IEEE standard frame sizes
on any Ethernet need to be sure to re-configure all the equipment
accordingly and test the whole subnet out thoroughly.  For now,
there seems to be no substitute for that (and yes, it is
a fair bit of work).  As near as I can tell, all switches ship
with IEEE-standard MTU as the default, so require manual operator
reconfiguration to support any larger frame size.

Ran
rja at inet.org