Definition of a burstable circuit

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Aug 22 20:23:22 UTC 2001

I forgot one thing:

A small part of the reason why people invented 95th % billing etc
(which was quite difficult in the days when measuring things reliably
was hard), was that implementing proper bursting and shaping in
an IP compatible way was harder. It still is. Just look at the
brain damage the 'burst' facility that 'forward or drop' technologies
like Cisco's CEF/CAR do to a TCP/IP session, and you'll see why.

[shall we shape the traffic by queuing the packets we'd have
otherwise binned, and take them off the queue at a reasonable
rate? noo noo process switching noo bus bandwidth horrors etc.]

--
Alex Bligh
Personal Capacity