Routescience?

Peter Francis peter at softaware.com
Wed Aug 22 17:38:40 UTC 2001

At 5:33 PM +0000 8/22/01, E.B. Dreger wrote:
>(Please wrap lines at ~72 chars)
>
>> If I am reading the "detailed" report right, the RS box actually
>> is the border router:
>>
>> "Entry-level pricing includes a modular, 14-slot chassis that
>> occupies eight rack units and support for two ISP links. Optional
>> modules can be added to support additional ISP links and enhanced
>> reporting features."
>
>Ah.  I skipped the part about "support for two ISP links".
>
>> In which case, perhaps it is trying to pop open HTTP packets and
>> insert its stealth GIF on the fly, at line speed.
>>
>> That's a lot of hardware for a function that might be better off
>> embedded in the actual servers themselves ...
>
>In-server is what I initially thought of, too.  However, then one
>must coordinate between servers... what's wrong with a simple box
>in promiscuous mode snagging eq 80 and eq 443 packets and dumping
>the rest?
>
>It just seems a shame to have to store and forward all the traffic
>when one can analyze it from another viewpoint.  Yes, managed
>switches complicate sniffing, but many (most? all?) managed
>switches have a "monitor port" that can wiretap traffic.

Unless you plan on "sniffing" your core router-to-router traffic (a very bad idea in my opinion) how do you deal with a web-hosting customer who is not sitting on a colo-LAN but rather across a WAN link of some variety?

Until we get the real low-down on the RouteScience design, no use speculating.

Peter