Internet traffic analysis

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Aug 20 21:44:47 UTC 2001

At 05:20 PM 8/16/2001 -0700, k claffy wrote:

 >      	"We are also seeing that 50 percent of the traffic is being
 >       	carried by four of the major ISPs," says Roberts.
 >       	Those being AOL (NASDAQ:AOL), MSN, Earthlink, and SBC.

Serious question: What about EarthLink's non-EarthLink-owned modems?  (They
do lease some modems, I have dialed into one before. :)  And what about
NetZero-type companies that outsource all of their modems?

If he is measuring traffic off routers, I do not see how he could
differentiate between traffic on modem leased by $PROVIDER_A and traffic on
that same modem an hour later leased by $PROVIDER_B.

Also, does he, or anyone else, have any explanation why [insert favorite
obvious big backbone] is missing from that list?  I know most of the ASes I
used to see as "big" are not listed.

--
TTFN,
patrick