Code Red 2 Erratication

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun Aug 19 14:55:11 UTC 2001

[ On Sunday, August 19, 2001 at 11:56:57 (+0100), Fearghas McKay wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Code Red 2 Erratication
>
> Fancy a role in Episode 2, Attack of the Code Red 2 Worm? No, this is
> not a new B-grade movie but how you can be a good internet citizen
> and let people know that their server has been infected by the Worm.

It is very impolite to send automated notifications, even one per day,
especialy if dozens, or hundreds, or millions of Apache users all start
doing this.  Indeed the result could be worse for the net in general
than CR itself.  At least CR only affects the lame software that can be
affected.

Haven't we learned anything yet from the days when people wrote scripts
to try and report DNS errors by parsing their named logs and e-mailing
back to the zones that appear to have the problems?

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>