wanted: wireless magic tricks

Roeland Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Thu Aug 16 16:32:11 UTC 2001

The expense part is arguable, but they may be correct about the lead-time.
I'm seeing more than 6 months for provisioning here, for T3s. I hear similar
numbers everywhere else. However, microwave towers take almost as long, and
are even MORE expensive (the permits alone, might take that long and *then*
you have to acquire the rights-of-way and build the towers<sigh>).

Depending on frequency of occurance, it might be far cheaper to burn a DAT
tape, or DVD-R, and drive it the 20 miles. You might want to consider doing
this until the T3 gets installed. It all depends on what the transfer is
worth (it looks like a data synchronization run).

If is is a data-sync run then they might want to consider a lower-speed line
and sync RDBMSs, such as with Oracle Replication Services (Assuming that it
*is* RDBMS data and they *are* using Oracle [Sybase works too]). The
bottom-line is that, they look like they have a systems architecture problem
that they are trying to fix with a claw-hammer.

Everything is possible. It is just that certain versions of "possible" cost
more than others.