verizon atm outage

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Sat Aug 18 00:49:32 UTC 2001

At 08:11 PM 8/17/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>verizon techs are encountering problems with equiptment in the entire
>mid-atlantic region.  ADSL outages are expected, and may last several
>hours each.  they will be rolling outages, rather than blanketing the
>entire former BA territory at once.
>
>i didn't get a lot of details from the 5 different people in 3
>different departments that i talked to, but it sounded gnarly and
>everyone was sounding very pessimistic.
>
>i gathered that there was some routine maintainance that turned into
>this widespread outage.  they expect areas to be going up and down for
>"the entire weekend."  one tech told me to advise my customers to
>reset their modems before attempting to connect again, but he couldn't
>explain to me what was going on.
>
>fun fun fun.
>
>anyone else hear a different story?

This is the official notice. It isn't supposed to start for another 3
hours, but we have been seeing periodic bouncing on about 30-40 customer T1
lines.

8/18/2001 - Verizon has notified us of scheduled network outage: "...to
allow the upgrade of the Frame Relay CBX-9000/500 switches in the Atlantic
Coastal LATA of New Jersey. The planned upgrade being instituted will bring
extended functionality and ensure a more robust network through deployment
of new software and hardware revisions. This upgrade will take place on
August 18th, 2001. All work directly affecting customer circuits is
scheduled to begin no earlier than midnight and end no later than seven AM.
Please be aware that while the upgrade is taking place, you may experience
sporadic PVC interruptions due to rerouting, on your frame relay circuits
in this LATA. The scheduled window for circuits to be down is four hours.
Your circuits may be down for all or part of this four hour window." As
always, Tellurian's NOC will be monitoring circuits and opening tickets if
any customer's service is not restored by 7AM as promised by Verizon.

All our Verizon Frame Relay and ATM circuits are ok at this time.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot