wanted: wireless magic tricks

Simon Lyall simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Thu Aug 16 20:10:33 UTC 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Cerqua, Toby wrote:
> client needs 45Mbps pushed over 20 miles... and he wants it wireless. the
> kicker is that they don't want a T3 because it is "too expensive" and it
> would take too long to get installed. it doesn't need to be constant, but he
> wants to move of 2.5GB within 45 minutes. this is in the chicago area, if
> that helps any. so, i don't know, satellite?

We use satellite here and get it over 45Mb/s easy (although that is across
a lot of customers rather than between just 2 hosts). However considering
leased lines are cheaper in this part of the world than satellite I can't
imagine it's a cheap option in the central US.

By the time you add the price of the circuit to the uplink site, and the
rental of 45Mb/s worth of carrier ( just how cheap do you think
enough carrier space for 4-45 (choose your compression) TV channels to
everywhere in North America is? ) and other costs ( mosts local govts
don't just let you chuck up 4M sat dishes without a permit) I can't image
satellite is an option.

Look at some of the other options people have outlined here (especially
moving the information via truck/motorbike/helo) and go back to the client
and discuss what they really want to do.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin |  Postmaster  | Home: simon at darkmere.gen.nz
ihug, Auckland, NZ          | Asst Doorman | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz