wanted: wireless magic tricks

Mark Allman mallman at grc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 16 18:27:46 UTC 2001

> When we ran a T3 satellite link we installed Mentat boxes on each
> end.  See: http://www.mentat.com/skyx/skyx-nasa.html for a nice
> comparison of TCP vs their SkyX protocol. Bottom line: it works
> and no user had to change a thing in their TCP stack.  Their
> product goes up to T3 speeds, though.  If you have access to the
> end devices and want to "tune the stack" to achieve full thruput
> via high delay links see:
> http://www.psc.edu/networking/perf_tune.html

Right.  Lots of these boxes exist.  I would encourage folks to
consider the implications of these boxes before putting them in
general purpose use, though.  They are sometimes OK, and sometimes
they may not be.  See RFC 3135 for a discussion.

allman

---
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/