wanted: wireless magic tricks

Mark Allman mallman at grc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 16 17:39:51 UTC 2001

> Catch is, the bw x delay product will kill you on these links if
> you run TCP sessions and you won't get anywhere near line rate.

Not true.  If you turn on MS TCP or solaris TCP or whatever you
won't get line rate out of the box awithout tweaking things a bit,
but you can make *TCP* do it.  Some folks here have pushed TCP to
over 500 Mbps over an OC-12 satellite channel with the normal,
everyday TCP implementation in solaris.  (I.e., when you discount
header overhead, etc. they got very close to line rate).

allman

---
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/