granitecanyon.com network unreachable?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Aug 15 22:26:37 UTC 2001

Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 02:26:03PM -0400, Bob K:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, john heasley wrote:
>
> > > The network that ns1.granitecanyon.com is on appears to be
> > > down; traceroutes die at ge-1-2-0.a01.enwdco01.us.ra.verio.net
> > > (129.250.26.147) .  Anyone know what's going on with that?
> >
> > then the problem is likely between verio.net and granitecanyon.com or
> > within one of those two you clearly already have enough information to
> > be following rfc 2142 instead of posting to nanog.
>
> My apologies.  The reason I posted to NANOG is because granitecanyon.com
> hosts The Public DNS Service, which handles a *lot* of nameservice for
> "The Little People" due to said services being free and automated; thus, I
s/The Little//

you did follow rfc 2182, right.  so, those particular nameservers being
down should not be of too much concern for operation as your secondaries
pick up the load.

anyway, if the rfc2142 contacts haven't been exhausted, the broadcast to
nanog is inappropriate, as is the precedence that has developed here to
ignore the rfc and any entity who chooses not to maintain the contact
addresses per the rfc.