NOC servers with public/private ip address

R Z mypop3mail at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 21:49:50 UTC 2001

Hi, all,

We are an ISP with some internet routers. The question is if we should use
public or private ip address in NMS/NOC to manage these routers. If we want
to save ip address and use private ip address, we need to have private
address on the internet routers. Although I am almost religious that
internet routers should NEVER have private address in the routing table, I
still need more reasons to convince other people. Can someone pls tell me
the pros and cons of using private ip address? Is there any issue with
private ip address? What is the practice in your network?

Your insight is highly appreciated.
Richard