Affects of the balkanization of mail blacklisting ad nauseum

Geoff Zinderdine geoffz at mts.net
Tue Aug 14 05:11:49 UTC 2001

Why on earth does this maudlin disestablishmentarian nonsense inevitably
come up around MAPS?  People have a RIGHT to do with THEIR NETWORKS what
THEY WANT TO.  Anyone who says that I have to spend money on bandwidth
and equipment for spam just because they can't police an AUP on THEIR
NETWORK doesn't deserve to be in business.

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Jared Mauch wrote:

> > Fuckem.  Vixie is a netnazi who would do us all a favor if he just
blew
> > what little brains he has left out of his left ear.

Paul Vixie has contributed far more to the Internet as a whole and the
community of his peers than you ever will, little man.  Your cursory
dismissal underscores your dilettantism.

> The SPAM problem goes up and down to be sure, but you know what?
PROCMAIL
> is your friend.  All you need to look for are the basics (ADV, Make
Money,
> etc) and you can instatly filter 90 percent of this trash into the
> bitbucket.

That is such a cop out.  That is like saying, "Well you know, pollution
is bad but if you wear this smog filter you only ingest 10 percent of
the noxious waste."  If network administrators at ALL service providers
did their job properly, you wouldn't have to filter at all.  This is
just the same as having proper RFC 1918 egress filters; it is only being
a responsible member of the provider community and preventing grief for
the next guy.  There is a major difference between freedom and license
that you don't seem to understand.

Regards,

Geoff Zinderdine
CCNP MCP CCA SOB