DNS Issues

Patrick Greenwell patrick at cybernothing.org
Tue Aug 14 01:49:03 UTC 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Mike Moglin wrote:

> I need some help in understand this one..
>
> A disgruntled employee set up duplicate DNS for our domain on his personal
> server and convinced uu.net to update their DNS records to point to his
> server as our secondary DNS server.  The record on his server has a
> different serial number than ours does, and we've contacted uu.net to
> point the domain back where it belonged.
>
> The question is how do I get the records to propagate rapidly?? he set the
> expire time on the records he sent out extremely high.  Is there a way
> to force an update??

You can't push an update to other peoples caches, so people who
made requests against records in your zone during the time the
nameservers pointed to his server will continue to go to his server
until the timeout period or they clear their caches.

> And what do the serial numbers really do?

It's used to determine if a slave is in sync with a master.