Affects of the balkanization of mail blacklisting

Margie margie at mail-abuse.org
Sat Aug 11 19:33:37 UTC 2001

--On Saturday, August 11, 2001 2:56 PM -0400 jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Margie Arbon wrote:
>
>> The TTL on the zones is 5 minutes. Realisitically most update every
>> 20 minutes to an hour. The DUL is a bit more static than the rest.
>>
>> Subscribers are obligated contractually to maintain current zone
>> files.
>
> Somebody just pointed out to me (and I've verified) that query access
> to at least the MAPS DUL is open to non-subscribers (still / again
> ?).  I'm hesitant to use it without knowing if this is just a
> temporary situation, or if there has been some change in policy.

It's temporary.  Because of the huge volume of responses (mostly for
free access),  we have chosen to  use a deny table for the largest
users while we get all of the allow entries made.  This prevents our
backlog from cutting off folks that want to subscribe.  As soon as we
get caught up, we will swap over from a deny  table to an allow table.
That should be real soon now.

--
Margie Arbon
MAPS, LLC