Affects of the balkanization of mail blacklisting

Margie margie at mail-abuse.org
Sat Aug 11 19:28:39 UTC 2001

--On Saturday, August 11, 2001 11:24 AM -0700 Roy <garlic at garlic.com>
wrote:

> It would have been nice if we could all agreed on a DUL database that
> would be distributed free to anyone to use.

Naturally, I have a different perspective. ;)

MAPS has developed, maintained and published these lists for a number
of years, on our nickel.  The "nickel" to date is to the tune of
several million dollars in operational and legal expenses.  That's cash
folks, not donated equipment, not donated bandwidth, not volunteer
efforts. Cold, hard, CASH.  It didn't come from corporate donations, it
didn't come from subscriptions.  99% of it  came out of Dave's and
Paul's pockets.

MAPS as a corporation must have revenue to operate.  We tried to
produce that revenue with a paid service called the RBL+.  We tried to
produce that revenue with our outsourced abuse services.  The people
that could most afford to use those services chose to continue to use
the free queries (at the rate of 10s of millions of queries a day for
some ISPs) rather than paying their own way.  That had to stop.  The
only way to stop it was to restrict access all access to the zones.

You folks are certainly free to start your own lists, or,  you could
encourage your employers to financially support the organization that
has been financially carrying them for all this time.

The fees are based on cost, not profit.  MAPS remains a not-for-profit
corporation.  For most mid-sized networks, the cost to them is $0.05
per user per year .  For the small outfits, its less than my annual
Starbuck's expenses ;)

--
Margie Arbon
MAPS, LLC