Affects of the balkanization of mail blacklisting

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Aug 11 16:10:54 UTC 2001

IIRC, MAPS hasn't allowed free zone transfers for quite some time.

Whether or not it's really "stolen" is for MAPS to think about and a judge
to decide (if MAPS decides to go that route).  The big problem with this
is usa.net is saying "go complain to MAPS", but MAPS can't help.
Obviously, they don't want people stealing it, or they wouldn't have
removed the CIDR text version of the DUL from their web site.

I don't have access to a zone file to check, but I suspect MAPS would have
been setting a relatively small expire time on the zones so this sort of
thing wouldn't happen without someone at usa.net editing the zone and
making themselves a master for it.  If they did that, why didn't they
update their mail servers?

The point is, if everyone creates their own DUL, and those DULs are poorly
maintained and have no documented procedures for submissions and
deletions, it's going to be a major PITA for network operators as their
customers complain "this IP space is no good, it's in DULs all over the
net, give me some virgin IP space."

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Roy wrote:

> They aren't stolen copies,  They are the last secondary transfer of the dul
> domain before MAPS closed its servers up.
>
> Roy Engehausen
>

> jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
>
> > This is getting really annoying.  It seems multiple large networks have
> > stolen copies of the MAPS DUL (I wonder if this is the cause or an effect
> > of MAPS going commercial?) which of course are not being kept in-sync with
> > the real MAPS DUL.  First it was Earthlink.  Today's winner is usa.net.

> > The address block in question above was removed from the DUL almost 2
> > weeks ago, but usa.net is still blocking mail from it today, and claiming
> > that they're doing so via the MAPS DUL.
> >
> > How many other networks have stolen copies of the DUL and either nobody
> > maintaining their local copies or bogus sendmail reject messages pointing
> > you to the wrong place (or no place) to get the problem fixed?
> >
> > If you're going to run your own locally maintained email blacklist, at
> > least get the rejection messages right and give out a correct URL for
> > procedures on getting off your blacklist.
> >
> > --
> >  Jon Lewis *jlewis at lewis.org*|  I route
> >  System Administrator        |  therefore you are
> >  Atlantic Net                |
> > _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________

 Atlantic Net                |