Code Red 2 cleanup; reporting..

Etaoin Shrdlu shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Sat Aug 11 02:59:22 UTC 2001

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:11:21 PDT, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu at deaddrop.org>  said:
>
> > It started a service at port 80 for him (lucky guy), but he had definitely
> > not started IIS. In fact, it had that stupid default page up that I've
> > usually seen in past when some application is installed the "personal web
> > server" for an unsuspecting user. I'm a little tired, and suspect that I no
>
> Aha.
>
> I have been told that the *most* common reason for finding IIS on
> a non-server install of NT or W2K is that although IIS is *NOT* installed
> by default on non-server boxes, it *IS* installed if you are upgrading
> and it finds traces of 'Personal Web Server'.
>
> Would that explain what you're seeing?

Good call. That is indeed what appears to have happened. I am still seeing
"odd" behaviour from that machine, and there are a lot of inappropriate
ports open on it (maybe explainable, maybe not). There may be an update on
monday. Since officially that machine never had a web server on it, it took
a little behind the scenes work to verify this. I feel quite relieved,
truthfully. I like the world to keep working in an explainable and rational
manner (yeah, yeah, I know, but I do).

--
Open source should be about giving away things voluntarily. When
you force someone to give you something, it's no longer giving, it's