Code Red 2 cleanup; reporting..

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Sat Aug 11 00:50:19 UTC 2001

In message <EA9368A5B1010140ADBF534E4D32C728025B06 at condor.mhsc.com>, Roeland Me
yer writes:

>> So -- if he wasn't running IIS, what was he running?
>
>Win2K boxen are ALWAYS running IIS. It doesn't matter whether you have Pro
>or Server. ALL Win2K systems need to run the patch. MSFT chose to integrate
>much of the IIS stuff into DLLs with other system critical stuff. As a
>result, IIS can't be completely removed without killing off other critical
>functions. Yes, what they proved in court is even more true with Win2K than
>with Win98 (Duh! MSFT didn't lie, but they didn't tell the whole truth
>either). WinXP is even more in that direction, from all reports.

I think you're confusing IIS with Internet Explorer.  And Microsoft
denies that it's installed by default on Win2K Professional -- see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-033.asp
XP Beta 2 does have IIS by default; XP RC1 and RC2 do not.

I can't be sure they're telling the whole truth; I can tell you that
the two Win2K boxes I sometimes use are not listening to anything on
port 80.

>BTW, is any motion happening, in the direction of finding the author(s)? I'd
>like to personally thank them, with a new neck-tie. The other end is
>attached to a huge California oak tree.

Not that I've heard.