NetSol takes over .us TLD and does this

up at 3.am up at 3.am
Fri Aug 10 00:40:44 UTC 2001

I thought this might be of interest:

The whois for .us had been working a few weeks ago, but hadn't been since
then.  I dropped an email to action at isi.edu (who had been hosting the
whois server until a few weeks ago) and cc'd usdomreg at nic.us and got the
following responses:

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:21:22 -0700
From: IPC Computing Services <action at ISI.EDU>
To: James Smallacombe <james at pil.net>
Cc: action at ISI.EDU, action-team at ISI.EDU
Subject: Re: {2001.08.445} .us TLD whois not in DNS

> http://www.nic.us/register/whois.html
>
> Instructs one to use whois.isi.edu
>
> for whois queries on the .us TLD.  It's not in DNS:
>
> [richard namedb james]$ traceroute whois.isi.edu
> traceroute: unknown host whois.isi.edu
>
> Could you please look into this and let me know if either the website
> is wrong or this will be fixed?

At the request of the US Department of Commerce, USC/ISI transitioned
all support for the US Domain to Verisign at the end of 2000.  We
appologize that the Verisign supported web site still points to
USC/ISI resources but we have no control over their publication of
data.

IPC Computing Services

-------
31 hours later from the new registrar (Verisign):